MAKES : 6
COOKS IN : 20 MINUTES
Scones be it sweet or savoury are an absolute favourite of mine. So I just had to give vegan scones a go, and what better flavours than rhubarb & lemon to go with! Rhubarb is just the best flavour out there in my opinion and a citrusy zing just brings out the flavour 🤤
I don’t make these very often as they’re a diet killer, especially once you smother them in cream & jam & eat them in unimaginable quantities like I do! But as a rare treat or party dish, these are a must!
- 350g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 95g vegan butter
- 150ml dairy free milk
- 100g caster sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 rhubarb stalks
HOW TO MAKE THEM
1. Cut your rhubarb into 1cm chunks and stew in a splash of water for 15 minutes.
2. Add the flour, baking powder & sugar to a mixing bowl and slowly rub the butter into the mixture.
3. Gradually stir in the milk, lemon zest and rhubarb and kneed into a smooth dough.
4. Roll out the dough until roughly 2cm thick and using a cutter cut out small circles roughly 6-7cm wide.
5. Bake for 15/20 minutes at 200°C until golden brown.
OPTIONAL – whisk vegan crem fraiche, lemon juice & a bit of sugar to make your own clotted cream and they go amazing with strawberry jam.
You can also use the same ingredients and method but skip the rhubarb & lemon to make plain scones.