SERVES : 4
COOKS IN : 15 MINUTES (PREP BASE 2 HOURS BEFORE)
DIFFICULTY : MEDIUM
Personally, thin crust proper Italian pizzas are the ones for me! It’s the Americans that changed things up by making deep pan pizzas and they’ve taken over thanks to the likes of Domino’s.
Deep pan pizzas are thicker and more doughy than an authentic pizza but so easy to make! What I do like about making deep pan pizzas is the perfect circle shape you get from using the pan!
Top your pizza off with your favourite sauce, cheese & toppings and make sure to check out my vegan pepperoni recipe!
- 250g All purpose or bread flour
- 2 tsp Nutritional yeast
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 230 ml Warm water
- Garlic powder & dried basil (optional)
The best Italian pizza sauce
Fry onion, capers, plenty of garlic, oregano & basil with tomatoes and a splash of white wine & balsamic vinegar, then blitz into your pizza base sauce.
In a blender blitz, cashews, dried yeast, garlic powder, onion powder & salt.
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. In a mixing bowl add your yeast and salt to your warm water and mix, leave for a couple of minutes to absorb and the mix should start to bubble.
2. Add your flour to the bowl and a splash of olive oil.
3. Kneed for 5 minutes into a fairly wet stringy dough, cover with a damp clothe and leave to rise for at least an hour or preferably a couple of hours. The dough should have doubled in size.
4. Once your dough has risen, cut into 4 equal pieces and again kneed into 4 separate doughs.
5. In an oiled pan, stretch the pizza dough out to fill the entire pan and fry your base for a few minutes on a medium/low heat. (Make sure your dough doesn’t stick and turn the heat down if it begins to. Take off the heat once the bottom starts to harden)
6. Top your base with your favourite toppings and finish in the oven for 10 minutes at 200 C